It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:50 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:45 am 

It's always interesting to meet and get to know other ukulele players and as the popularity of the uke has continued to grow there are more and more people taking it up.
So, a number of people have suggested starting a thread where ukers can introduce themselves and their ukes (if they want to).
So here you are.
:D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:45 pm 

Hi, I'm Andrew. I play a beautiful Mahalo concert uke, all the more dear since TonyB gave it to me.

I also play u-bass, an instrument with the body of a uke and the mind of a bass.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:04 pm 

Ok, Andrew was first to dip his toe in the water so here goes:
Tony Boland here, and I fell in love with the ukulele in 2007 after hearing a Dave Fanning broadcast about the Ukulele Orchestra of GB's tour of Ireland. He also played Izi Kamakawiwoʻole's moving version of "Wonderful World" and I was hooked...
In the past five years (although a still struggling player :-)) the uke has given me such pleasure and introduced me to so many new friends here in Ireland and all over the world.
In the spirit of uke truth, I have to confess to a bad case of U.A.S. (ukulele acquisition syndrome) and share my living space with a quite number of miniature instruments but the special loves are some ukes made by a wonderful immigrant Italian luthier to the US, called Nicolas Turturro in the early part of the last century (which I think are as nice sounding as the Martins of the same period).
Anyway, that's me.....

Attachments:
Turturro  Magogany Soprano Ukulele.JPG
Turturro Magogany Soprano Ukulele.JPG [ 57.6 KiB | Viewed 1938 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:14 am 

Eh, Stephen Cummins, go by Uke Gnome on twitter etc, got into uke just as a way of having a smaller guitar to travel with but fell in love with the spirit of the instrument and the joy it gives me and others. I'm trying to develop a musical comedy act with the uke, been playing a bit in London and will be on the bill at Tricity Vogue's ukulele cabaret at the Edinburgh fringe in August!

Let's see, I have many ukuleles, this is the first time I've tried to list them, please don't tell my wife. However, she has the same approach to handbag collecting, so I think I'm safe:
A Kala Pocket uke (small, but sturdy and a real instrument, well made)
Kala lacewood soprano (lovely sweet sound, I play this regularly.):
A folding ukulele: http://www.ponoko.com/design-your-own/p ... olor--6539 (just a novelty really)
A concert-sized Mainland (great for the few tunes I pluck, like Stardust)
A cigarbox ukulele loud, twangy sound, fun to play, but mostly on display at the mo')
Strumstick (not strictly a ukulele, but an unusual 3 stringed thing)
Timple (5 stringed ancestor of ukulele, just a tourist version I bought in Tenerife)
Lanakai mahogany soprano (not bad starter uke, got this in Germany, was a big improvement from a Mahalo, my first uke)
Ohana DRC resonator (my pride and joy, custom made, and was the last one built by Colin Oldham http://www.deltaresonatorcones.co.uk/)
Semi-acoustic soprano by some obscure Chinese company, but really like the sound and play this busking with a VOX amp and small mic.
Eh, a pile of 5-6 Mahalo's I use for teaching kids, this pile shrinks and grows as I give them away randomly to kids that seem to really want them.
Yamaha Guitarlele (kinda a small guitar really, but a good sound)
Firefly banjolele (just ordered this, by the people who make fleas and flukes)

Well, I feel like an addict admitting how deep into Ukulele acquisition I am, maybe this will give others the courage to come forward too. I can quit any time I want, I swear!

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 7:15 pm 

Hi, My name is Ray McCarthy, I own a KALA soprano, mahogany uke.
My wife gave it to me while I was recovering from a pretty bad appendicitis experience so it was a great time-killer. I attended the beginner class for the first time today and was very encouraged by my first experience. I'll be back! :D

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 9:01 am 

Welcome Ray - Great to see you here!
Join in any time :D

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 10:28 am 

My name is Gareth, and I am a newcomer to the wonderful world of Ukulele-dom at the ripe old age of 38!

I have bought a Kala Mahagony Tenor, which I am very happy with. It has a lovely sound and I have been playing for about three weeks. I have a musical background (guitar, bass, saxophone, clarinet), but I am trying to "unlearn" some of my guitar playing techniques as I feel playing the Ukulele is not like playing a small guitar, if you see what I mean.

Anyway, I recently Googled "Ukulele Ireland" which led me to this forum and your great website. I was delighted to see an Irish Ukulele movement and I have already marked by diary to attend the Ukulele Hooley in Dún Laoghaire this summer. ;)

Looking forward to getting to know you all,

Gareth.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:10 am 

Glad you found us Gareth! Introduce yourself at the Ukulele Hooley Festival in August.
:)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:09 pm 

Aloha Paddies!

I'm Kalani, I'm mix Hawaiian, Chinese, Irish, English German.. From America, Living in China the last 11 years.

I really love Irish music, Chieftains are my favorite band.. UB40 is my other favorite band

Hope to learn some Irish songs on here, learn a bit of Irish culture.. My father's Family name is Whaley, which is an Irish name long in Hawaii, my mom's side is Griffin, which is Celtic I believe

I play a Kala Tenor Acacia right now.. I have another custom tenor and a Concert.. I started playing on a Kamaka Concert in the early 90's..

If you have any nice Irish tunes post 'em for me!

Mahalo..

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:30 am 

Hi,
I am completely new to this forum.
I was so impressed by the ukelele orchestra of great britain in 2009, that i bought my first ukelele. Unfortunately i had to give it to a better musician than myself 2 years after.
So i bought myself another and am determined to learn.
I live in Galway. Does anyone know a teacher or would be able to point me in the right direction of someone who can help a stranded but passionate ukelele beginner.
Thanks
Dave